Crime in Atlanta

 As I was watching the news this morning, the channel I was watching said that murders in Atlanta were up 43% and rapes were up 236% with other crimes remaining steady. However, on Facebook (https://www.ajc.com/news/crime/atlanta-homicides-trending-higher-this-year-but-other-crimes-decrease/3472SQG7TBBYBA3ZQNKKJUF4UQ/), I saw another news outlets saying that murders are trending higher, but all other crimes on the rise. The second story references "irresponsible gun ownership" multiple times. It doesn't really reference other crimes. 

This bothered me a good bit. This affects people's livelihoods. Why would you not verify for accurate information before you publish a story? I honestly have no clue which is more accurate... is crime up, down, or the same? This affects so many people's lives. 

Comments

  1. I agree. I think that with the amount of information people process a day with the implementation of social media, media companies are struggling to keep up with the demand for informative news coverage. I saw a study that stated news companies are printing more retractions now than they ever have before. In the past companies had time to research and report on topics before they became old news. Now, since there is so much information companies have taken to the notion that more stories at a rapid pace is better than fewer stories even in it mean the rapid stories might need to be retracted in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Masks forever? An Atlanta "news" story.

The media and FREE GAS!

Welcome to the Between the Aisles blog!