Welcome to the Between the Aisles blog!
Hi! Welcome to my blog. As apart of my Mass Media and Politics class, I will be posting some of my thoughts and discussion on polarizing news headlines. It's very interesting to me that across America, news headlines are so very single-sided, and they end up reporting a completely different story than other news outlets. Covid is a good example of this.
Left-leaning news sources, such as NBC and CNN, tend to only focus on the negatives of COVID. They don't report on current facts. Omicron is a good example of this. ABC here in Atlanta posted a story about how many teachers have lost their lives to COVID since July of 2021 (when school started face-to-face for most). Yes, that's a horrible thing. However, a Google search of "WSB-TV omicron" doesn't return any headlines on how much less severe this new variant is for everyone. Instead, it returns stories pleading for people to get the COVID shot, and stories about boosters, and stories about our case records.
It's not only the left that has this issue, though. The right-wing news outlets, like Fox News, don't ever report on the grim side of COVID. There's tons of headlines about how the newest variant isn't server, and how all remaining COVID restrictions in Georgia have been removed. On my search, I didn't see any stories about how we've shattered new case records or similar stories.
I believe that news should only report facts and all of these sources have been putting an opinionated spin on their reporting. I'm not a fan of that, and I'd like to compare and contrast news articles and headlines of the same topic, and see how each outlet reports it differently.
Comments
Post a Comment